Monday, July 18, 2011

Smocked Elephants for Christian

Since "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words" I thought that I would share a few pictures while constructing a smocked Jon-Jon. The smocking design for the elephants are mine and will be available on the blog shortly. Anna and I wanted them to look like animal cracker elephants, but are going to let her husband think that they are University of Alabama elephants. Please don't tell him!

The first picture shows the smocking completed and pinned to my lace shaping board. I then took my two pieces of piping which are cut the length of the insert guide and matched the center of the insert and the piping. After I am satisfied that I have evenly distributed the pleats, the piping is then pinned to the insert. I then stitch the piping to the insert using a stitch length of about 3.0 or 3.5, being cautious not to let the pleats shift as I stitch.

This picture shows the top of the insert pinned to bottom of the top yoke with right sides together. I carefully matched the centers and then used my ruler to make sure that I will end up with a 5/8" seam allowance. *Although the fabric is white pique' I had no trouble seeing and feeling the piping through the fabric.

Last but not least, I used my cording foot to sew as close to the piping as possible. If you do not have a cording foot, a zipper foot works well.

*Do you know what the hardest part about doing a tutorial blog is? Remembering to take the pictures as I go! I have to set the camera on the tripod so that it is in my way to remind me that there is a bigger mission going on here. :)

Michie'

3 comments:

Diane W said...

Love these elephants! Roll Tide - look forward to your post for the elephants!

Appreciate the pictures and details. DO you have any special "tips / techniques" for
keeping the pleats nice and straight? For me that is the most difficult - wavy pleats don't really look very nice :(

Magi said...

So adorable! Thank you for the directions.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails